The Clomid Death Sentence

A few years ago I was visiting another hospital. When touring the OBGYN department, I ran across a very busy obstetrician in the middle of office hours. He was running form room to room and had a pile of charts in his hands. After her appointment, one of his patients cornered him in the waiting area and softly said, “by the way, I have not been able to get pregnant again.” Automatically, he pulled out his prescription pad scribbled a years supply of Clomid, saying, “Let me know if nothing happens in a year.” Seeing me at the last second, he said, “Actually, make it 6 months”
Needless to say I was not happy with either of his recommendations.
Giving a patient a prescription for 6 months of Clomid may be giving that woman’s fertility a death sentence.
If a woman is 39 and not getting pregnant, and she takes 6 months of Clomid, she will probably turn 40 before she starts her work-up. By the time she makes her appointment, sees the doctor, and gets her workup, it’s 6 months, maybe longer, and now it’s all too late.
It’s ok to use Clomid. I limit it to about 3 months, and there should be some workup first. I occasionally use 6 months of Clomid, but only in the case where the woman doesn’t ovulate without it. I skip Clomid in older women.

References:

15 responses to “The Clomid Death Sentence”

1. Heather says:

Just found your blog and wanted to say, amen to this entry.

I was on Clomid for 3 clomid/IUI cycles with careful monitoring by my RE and still had cyst problems.

My Dr. always made it seem like Clomid was not a drug to be taken lightly.

2. Pnina says:

Funny b/c we had a neighbor friend of ours who is a reg GP who said I’ll just write you a scrip (like he was giving out candy) Thank G-d I knew better.

after 7 years of TTC……. my husband had a varicocele repair in June 08….. i have been on birth control since April 08, and got the ok to stop it the end of this pack…… January we will be trying Clomid…. for 3 months…. if i’m not PG by April then we will have a HSG and LAP…

This is what hapened to me with clomid. I was married for 6 years, cacasion… at 25 I wanted to have a baby, so i stoped taking my birth control. and tried by having intercourse with my husband, I didnt end up pregnant that month, so i did a internet search, and found out i could have a better chance by taking lomid, so with out seeing a doctor, i ordered 100mg clomid and it was sent to me from India. I took it for the 5 days, and was told that i would prob ovulate about 7 to 10 days after my last pill. I live in NY and never cheated on or even thought about doing so, the day after my last clomid pill, i went shoping, i stoped by a gas station, and got gas, went in and had to use the bathroom, while waiting for my turn, a black male started talking to me, before i could even relize what i was doing, (like my body took over) i was in the mens restroom, with the black male behing me doing the unspeakable… when i got home i was like what is going on with me. i never cheated again, i belive this (clomid drug) made me feel so worked up that i let this stranger have me, not even knowing any thing about him, name or nothing. well i blocked it all out.. 4 days later i started having intercourse with my husband.. ended up pregnant. (with triplets) nothing never crossed my mind. I had my babies, they were all real dark black when born. my husband left me, and i dont even have a clue as to there father. so another words, i ovulated the very day after my last pill. i had never heard of this.. i know have 3 babies, but hurt the rest of my life trying to explain to my family and friends how this happened. when I dont even understand myself. has any one else heard of this hapening? thanks for listening Holly N.Y.

OMG. This JUST happened to me. I am so mad. I went in for infertility consult after 6mos of trying. It took 3mos to get in with the doctor. At this point, I’m 9mos infertile at 39. The doctor puts me on 4mos of Clomid & IUI with no workup. I am now 40 and am just now getting a workup even though I’ve been asking for it all along. So after $1500 on consults, clomid & IUI they tell me the only thing I can do now is $15000 IVF. I think they wasted my last chance on purpose so they could get the big dollars. Well, this is SECONDARY infertility for me so I am fine keeping my family this size and using the $15k to pay for MY kids’ college & not the doc’s kids college. Advice to 35 and over: don’t wait the 6mos they tell you. Wait only 3. Demand a workup or find a new doc. Be VERY aware that some clinics have their eye on the big IVF prize and not so much your having a baby. Take charge of your own fertility.

To Holly from NY/Anonymous:

Are you serious? I don’t even know where to begin to express my disgust with you and your comment and actions. I think I speak for all women out there who do daily internet searches and reading on the topic of infertility. WTF is wrong with you???? Do you even realize how many people struggle to get pregnant BY THIER SIGNIFICANT OTHER??? There is no excuse for what you did. Although there are side effects from taking Clomid, CHEATING ON YOUR HUSBAND WITH A STRANGER IN A GAS STATION IS NOT ONE OF THEM! You are sick. If you were at home, having sex with your husband, you would have his children. I don’t feel bad for you. Nobody does. I only hope that your children have some kind of positive role model to have a hand in their upbringing. You have no business being a mother.

I had two kids when I was 19 and 21. Years later tried again and found it much more difficult. Tried on and off for four years. Bought Clomid online for $80 no presciption. Had it for probably two years before I braved up enough to use it. Got pregnant first try. Perfect baby girl..with one extra toe. Maybe a side affect? 19 months later I still had some remaining from that first batch and decided to give it another try. Took on pill a day on days 5 through 10 of my cycle. Woke up with terrible, terrible stomach pains nausea and vomiting on day 11. Today is day 12 of my cycle and my stomach still hurts, but not as bad. Supposed to start trying today. With my last, we “tried” for five days in a row, 12 through 16 and had success. So I’m going to try that again. Hope it works, but worried about Clomid complications. Read the insert. There are some dangerous problems that can occur from ovarian overstimulation syndrom. Hoping the stomach ache is not related. If it is, it could be life-threatening..especially if we conceive. But I don’t have medical insurance. So I guess I’ll hope for the best. So worried, tho. On top of it all, my 10 month old is still nursing a lot and I’m concerned about any affects that she might have. I didn’t think much of it at first because the insert said that it was unknown if Clomid is excreted in breastmilk but then said that it might reduce milk supply. So I figure if that’s the only concern, then what’s the problem. But after taking them I read more and it says that the drugs stay in a womans system for weeks..even months before going away. So instead of being exposed to a little bit of hormones for 5 days, my baby might get a bigger dose than I expected. I don’t know what to do now. She’s not taking much solids yet and is still refusing any bottles or sippy cups. She depends on my milk. But is it harming her????

8. My husband and I tried having children for 7 years and nothing happened. We got tested and found out that I had polycystic ovaries. The asked us what sort of help we wanted and I said clomid, and just on the 4th pill I got pregnant. I took it 1 day after I got married.

9. wow that don’t sounds funny… I think the worse new you can recieve it’s your gonna die.
    Thanks, nice post.

10. buy kamagra says:

If a woman is 39 and not getting pregnant, I think that it is a dangerous sittuation, also You can change your life, so I think that it is great.

11. Valerie says:

Valerie said that I have been taking clomid for 6 mths now, not preganant yet, before starting clomid I had surgery to reconstruct my ovaries, a dnc, laporascopy and hyperscopic. I have been diagnosed with P.O.D. although I really want kids, i am married age 27 and my husband is age 40. I know I have issues, but maybe he does too. I am scheduled for a follow-up medical appointment in the next few weeks and I am afraid of what I might hear. Please help anyone that has positive opinions to share that would lead to me becoming a mother for the first time! Thanks

12. Soc says:

I just found this blog after reading some information about Clomid and the side effects that a CDC study found last year. The numbers are a little disturbing and frightening. For more information: http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/Clomid-Birth-Defect-Lawyer-Lawsuit-Attorney-Recall

13. clomid says:

people not read instructions written over before taking zopiclone and take overdose which result such kind of thing

14. Michelle says:

I took my first dose of clomid today (100mg). I feel like I’m dying of the flu. I had heard about cramps or moodiness, etc. but my muscles, joints, bones, and skin hurt… The pressure in my head makes my neck hard to turn, and my eyes are bloodshot like I’ve been drinking. How do people go to work while taking clomid? I barely survived today! I keep hearing “but it’s worth it.” Thats all fine and dandy… But how do I make it? How did you make it? Did you Explain to your boss why you felt, looked, and performed so poorly?

15. ked says:

I tried to get pregnant with IUI last year in my early 40’s. According to my doctor and every test ran there was no reason other then age for not getting pregnant. I took 6 months of 100 mg clomid and it has wrecked my life. I have experienced Anxiety that is unexplainable. I am going to write a book on this topic. If anyone else would like to share please contact me. Life after clomid has been difficult at best